Welcome to The Movie Tree

Hello and welcome to The Movie Tree. Like most people, I am a big fan of movies. I, however, take movie watching to the extreme. In 2012 I watched 242 'new' movies (Yes, I track how many I watch). When I say new movies, I mean new to me. This number does not include the movies I watched for a second, or however many, time. You might be wondering how I was able to watch 242 'new' movies in 365 days. Well, I tend to watch movies in segments. I'll watch a little during lunch, a little more while working out, then finish it up during my early morning shift of feeding our baby boy. It's probably not the way the director intended me to watch it, but it allows me to watch more movies! I also have a wife that enjoys watching movies as well.

I am also big on rating movies. Usually I rate movies on sites such as IMBD and Film Affinity, but I will share those here as well. I rate movies based on a 1-10 scale ( you can see my translation of the scale on the Rating Tree). I'm not big on writing lengthy reviews, but I will from time to time. You will also see Top 10 lists, weekly recaps of the movies I watched, and my reactions to upcoming films and movie news. Feel free to agree or disagree with any post- I welcome the discussion. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Batman Forever Reviewed





I had not seen Batman Forever (1995) in, well, forever; but I caught it one TV today. I was not a fan of Schumacher's Batman and Robin at all, but I remember somewhat liking Forever. In fact, I had it rated at 7/10. Maybe it is because Christopher Nolan raised the bar so high, but Forever is just not very good.

Val Kilmer isn't terrible as Batman, but the movie is as cheesy as can be. He didn't exactly have a great script to work with. Tommy Lee Jones was way too over the top as Two-Face. I was not a fan of him at all in this movie. Jim Carrey was over the top as the Riddler as well, but that kind of fit the character, so I didn't mind him as much. Riddler was always one of my favorite Batman villains so I actually liked him in the movie.

This is also the movie that Robin (Chris O'Donnell) was introduced. Now Robin was a cool character back in the Adam West days, but it just doesn't work here. They tried to include a 'holy...Batman' quote in Forever and it just came off as lame.

I also didn't like the look of the movie. Maybe I did when I was 11(the year it was released), but not now. They completely went away from the dark and almost eerie atmosphere Tim Burton created in Batman and Batman Returns, and turned in into a nightclub scene with all the neon colors. I guess they were going for that 'comic book' feel.

Batman Forever still isn't a terrible movie, but not near as good as I remember. It is much more on the level of Batman and Robin than I remembered, therefore I have changed my rating.

My Rating: 5/10


Source: IMDB

No comments:

Post a Comment