Welcome to The Movie Tree

Hello and welcome to The Movie Tree. Like most people, I am a big fan of movies. I, however, take movie watching to the extreme. In 2012 I watched 242 'new' movies (Yes, I track how many I watch). When I say new movies, I mean new to me. This number does not include the movies I watched for a second, or however many, time. You might be wondering how I was able to watch 242 'new' movies in 365 days. Well, I tend to watch movies in segments. I'll watch a little during lunch, a little more while working out, then finish it up during my early morning shift of feeding our baby boy. It's probably not the way the director intended me to watch it, but it allows me to watch more movies! I also have a wife that enjoys watching movies as well.

I am also big on rating movies. Usually I rate movies on sites such as IMBD and Film Affinity, but I will share those here as well. I rate movies based on a 1-10 scale ( you can see my translation of the scale on the Rating Tree). I'm not big on writing lengthy reviews, but I will from time to time. You will also see Top 10 lists, weekly recaps of the movies I watched, and my reactions to upcoming films and movie news. Feel free to agree or disagree with any post- I welcome the discussion. Enjoy!

Friday, February 1, 2013

Top 10 Movies of 2011

Yes, I know, the year is 2013. So why am I posting my Top 10 movies from 2011 rather than the Top 10 from 2012? Simple. I have only watched 51 movies that were released in 2012. How can I create an accurate Top 10 list when I have yet to see films such as Agro, Zero Dark Thirty or Lincoln? I have a son that is not yet 1 year old, so needless to say, I have not been to the theatre in months. I like to give myself an entire year to catch up on all the movies released the year prior- it allows me to create a more accurate list. My sample from 2011 is over 150 movies, so much better for a Top 10 list. Feel free to strike back below.

10. Attack the Block- 8/10

A teen gang in London protects their block from an alien invasion. This little gem combines sci-fi, horror and comedy. The cast of youngsters are brilliant, and we get Nick Frost as the pot selling neighbor. What more could one want? Plus the ape-like aliens look fantastic for the budget they were working with.


9. The Change-Up- 8/10 

A family man (Jason Bateman) and his bachelor best friend (Ryan Reynolds) switch bodies after making a wish while peeing in a fountain. As you can imagine, things go haywire in a hilarious way. This type of movie has been done before, but nevertheless, it had me laughing hysterically throughout.

8. Take Shelter- 8/10

Terrified by reoccuring apocalyptic dreams, Curtis (Michael Shannon) builds a storm shelter outside of his house. His erratic behavior begins to cause strain on his marriage, and causes tension with his friends in the community. Michael Shannon brilliantly plays a man that knows he may be going crazy, but can't help to feel that a 'storm' is coming and his dreams will come true. The most thought-provoking ending of the year.
 




7. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- 8/10

After being accused of slander and discredited as a journalist, Mikael (Daniel Craig) is hired to solve an unresolved family disappearance that occurred 40 years prior. He teams up with an unconventional computer hacker (Rooney Mara) to uncover the secret. Based on the popular novel, David Fincher delivers a top-notch thriller with a top-notch cast. Rooney Mara is fantastic as 'The Girl.'



6. Moneyball- 8/10 

Brad Pitt stars as the Oakland Athletics' General Manager, Billy Beane, that built a very competitive team on a limited budget using computer-generated analysis. Jonah Hill earned his Oscar nomination by playing the man behind this system. I am a huge baseball fan, so it should come as no surprise that this movie is in my Top 10. It was depressing seeing the Texas Rangers at the bottom of the standings each time they were shown.




5. 50/50- 8/10 

After being diagnosed with spinal cancer at the age of 27, Adam (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) copes with the news with a little help from his best friend (Seth Rogen) and a young therapist (Anna Kendrick). It is not easy to pull off a comedy involving cancer, but 50/50 does just that. It is a very sincere movie and is not all laughs. JGL proves why he is emerging as one of the great young actors around.



4. The Descendants- 8/10

After his wife has a boating accident that puts her in a coma, Matt (George Clooney) finds out she was having an affair. With his two daughters at his side, he goes out to confront the man his wife was seeing. George is his usual brilliant self, and the rest of the cast is strong as well. Especially Shaliene Woodley who plays the oldest daughter. Even with the sensitive subject matter, there is still a few laughs throughout.



3. Thor- 8/10 

Adding to the series of movies based on the Mavel comics, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) is cast out of the realm of Asgard and down to Earth by his father Oden. He then falls in love with a scientist (Natalie Portman) while battling his brother Loki. Loki is, in my opinion, the best villain featured in the Marvel movies thus far. It is no wonder he was the featured villain in The Avengers that was released in 2012.



2. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10

In another movie based on a Marvel comic, we are introduced to the Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) who is injected with a serum that turns him into a super solider. The movie takes place during WW2 as Captain America battles the leader of the evil HYDRA organization. Cap is the most sincere of the Marvel heroes, as he knows what it is like to be 'weak.' Hugo Weaving delivers a terrifying performance as the leader of HYDRA, Red Skull. Cap Am is up there with Ironman as the best Marvel movie.


1. Warrior- 9/10 

The journey of two brothers, one a war hero (Tom Hardy) and the other a school teacher (Joel Edgerton), that leads to them meeting in the final round of a mix martial arts tournament. I am not a big fan of MMA, or UFC, or any other of the fighting leagues that are so popular. But this movie almost made me a fan. This movie is much more than a 'fighting' movie. Each fighters story outside of the cage is just as intriguing as the awesome fights that occur in it. It was also nice to see Nick Nolte as he delivered a powerful performance as the alcoholic father.



Source: IMBD

No comments:

Post a Comment