Welcome to The Movie Tree

Hello and welcome to The Movie Tree. Like most people, I am a big fan of movies. I, however, take movie watching to the extreme. In 2012 I watched 242 'new' movies (Yes, I track how many I watch). When I say new movies, I mean new to me. This number does not include the movies I watched for a second, or however many, time. You might be wondering how I was able to watch 242 'new' movies in 365 days. Well, I tend to watch movies in segments. I'll watch a little during lunch, a little more while working out, then finish it up during my early morning shift of feeding our baby boy. It's probably not the way the director intended me to watch it, but it allows me to watch more movies! I also have a wife that enjoys watching movies as well.

I am also big on rating movies. Usually I rate movies on sites such as IMBD and Film Affinity, but I will share those here as well. I rate movies based on a 1-10 scale ( you can see my translation of the scale on the Rating Tree). I'm not big on writing lengthy reviews, but I will from time to time. You will also see Top 10 lists, weekly recaps of the movies I watched, and my reactions to upcoming films and movie news. Feel free to agree or disagree with any post- I welcome the discussion. Enjoy!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Skyfall Reviewed



I finally got Skyfall is the mail this week. I don't get to the movie theater much because of my little guy, so I am forced to wait until my DVD provider gets them to me. Skyfall was one of my most anticipated movies of 2012, so it was tough to wait so long. So did it live up to the hype?

In my opinion, it did not. This is not to say it is a bad movie, but it did not feel like a 'Bond' movie to me. Sure, there were a lot of nods to the 'old' ones (which I loved- especially at the end of the movie), but it never connected with me. If it weren't for the nods to the old films, and the Bond name, it would have just been another thriller for me.

Javier Bardem was pretty awesome as the villain, but he just didn't get enough screen time. It was not until he arrived that the movie really took off. But it lost me again when Bond arrived at 'Skyfall.'

I won't dig too deep because I don't want to give things away- just in case someone out there has not seen it yet (although I'm pretty sure I was the last one to do so). It certainly is not a bad movie; it is rather entertaining and I reserve the right to increase the rating upon a second viewing. It just was underwhelming to me. It is possible that I set my standards too high, but folks were saying this was the best Bond yet. No hardly.

My Rating: 7/10

 
Source: www.007.com

1 comment:

  1. I agree with that review. I just watched it last night and your review pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. They really wanted to set the stage for putting in the new "Q" and Ralph Fiennes as "M". 7 would be my score as well.

    ReplyDelete