Welcome to The Movie Tree

Hello and welcome to The Movie Tree. Like most people, I am a big fan of movies. I, however, take movie watching to the extreme. In 2012 I watched 242 'new' movies (Yes, I track how many I watch). When I say new movies, I mean new to me. This number does not include the movies I watched for a second, or however many, time. You might be wondering how I was able to watch 242 'new' movies in 365 days. Well, I tend to watch movies in segments. I'll watch a little during lunch, a little more while working out, then finish it up during my early morning shift of feeding our baby boy. It's probably not the way the director intended me to watch it, but it allows me to watch more movies! I also have a wife that enjoys watching movies as well.

I am also big on rating movies. Usually I rate movies on sites such as IMBD and Film Affinity, but I will share those here as well. I rate movies based on a 1-10 scale ( you can see my translation of the scale on the Rating Tree). I'm not big on writing lengthy reviews, but I will from time to time. You will also see Top 10 lists, weekly recaps of the movies I watched, and my reactions to upcoming films and movie news. Feel free to agree or disagree with any post- I welcome the discussion. Enjoy!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Top 10 Bill Murray Movies

Bill Murry has been producing funny movies for longer than I have been alive. The other night I caught one of my favorite Bill Murray movies, Stripes, on TV and I decided to make a list of my 10 favorite Murray movies. This was pretty tough, because their were a lot of options, but here we go.


 10. Caddyshack (1980)- 7/10

I don't like this movie as much as most people claim to- it just doesn't hold up as well when you watch it now. Nevertheless, Carl the groundskeeper is one of Murray's best and most memorable characters.








9. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004)- 7/10

This was the first Wes Anderson movie I saw, and of course it made me a fan. Murray awesome as Steve Zissou, a man seeking revenge on a mythical shark that killed his partner.








8. What About Bob? (1991)- 8/10

Murray brilliantly plays an obsessive compulsive recluse who follows his Doctor on vacation to seek help. This is probably not one of Murray's most popular roles, but this is a hilarious movie.








7. Moonrise Kingdom (2012)- 8/10

Wes Anderson likes to use Bill Murray in his movies (for good reason) and this is the best in my opinion. Murray is great as the father of a runaway girl. I enjoyed Murray himself better in Life Aquatic, but this is the better movie.








 6. Ghostbusters 2 (1989)- 8/10

I'll admit this is a corny movie, and does not even come close to the greatness of the first film. But Dr. Peter Venkman and the gang were back in action and that was fun to see.  Maybe Murray will eventually sign off on #3.








5. Scrooged (1988)- 8/10

This 'modern' retelling of A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite holiday classics.  Surprisingly I did not catch it on TV last Christmas; it is usually on quite often during the holiday season.








4. Groundhog Day (1993)- 8/10

I cannot convince my wife that this is a good movie, but it is one of those I want to watch every time I see it on. Watching Murray, a TV weatherman, relive the same day over and over is quite entertaining.








3. The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997)- 8/10

This is another one that isn't as revered as Murray's other films, but this is one of my favorites. What is not to like about Murray mistakenly stopping an assassination plot?








2. Stripes (1981)- 8/10

I certainly wouldn't want this guy joining the Army, but it is hilarious to watch. Not only is Murray great in this movie, but it stars Harold Ramis, Judge Reinhold and the late John Candy. What a comedy team. 








1. Ghostbusters (1984)- 10/10

It really should come as no surprise that this takes the top spot. This is still one of my favorite movies of all-time. Not only to Murray and Ramis re-team, but they added Dan Aykroyd as well. I wouldn't mind seeing them strap on their proton packs and fighting the undead again.








Source: FilmAffinity

No comments:

Post a Comment